We have you covered on all things New Hire Packet.
What are the steps for hiring an individual who has never worked on campus before?
- Request a Banner ID/CWID by following the General Employee Setup procedures. If the employee is a student or former student, they will use the same Banner ID.
- Request a Position Number by accessing the spreadsheet for Request for New Temporary/Periodic or Student Position, only if a new position is needed.
- Provide New Hire forms to new employee. Be sure all required fields are completed. NEW HIRE PACKET
- Create an EPAF. Use the EPAF How To Guide, which can be found in Banner Resources.
- Send the New Hire Packet to 106 Whitehurst once the EPAF is created and approved by the department head.
- Who needs to fill out a packet?
- Anyone who has never worked for OSU before.
- Any non-benefited position that has had a break in service that exceeds six months.
- Any benefited position that has a break in service that exceeds 30-days.
- How do I fill out the I-9?
- I made some errors on the I-9. How do I correct it?
- The use of White-Out is prohibited on the I-9.
- Only the employee and authorized representative can correct the I-9, respectively.
- One line must be used to mark out the mistake, then write the correct information, followed by initialing and dating the correction.
- You may also review how to complete and correct the I-9 by visiting USCIS I-9 Forms.
- What do I do when hiring an international employee?
- Immediately send them to the Office of International Students and Scholars (ISS), 250 Student Union.
- The employee should review ISS requirements, which can be found here: International Employment at OSU.
- What do I do when hiring a retiree?
- Any retiree that exceeds a break in service must complete the entire packet.
- If the retiree is returning as a contractor, there must be a break of service of at least two years in order to comply with Purchasing Guidelines.
- How do I hire temporary or student workers that are only working in the summer?
- If they have never worked on an OSU campus or they have exceeded their break in service, a packet is required.
- If the employment period is 90-days or less at .75 FTE or higher, you must place an end date on the EPAF in order to avoid triggering Affordable Care Act (ACA) requirements.
- If the employment period is intended to last longer than 90-days at .75 FTE or higher, insurance must be offered to the employee in order to comply with ACA regulations. The department and the employee will be contacted.
- Can I send the Personal Information Form (PIF) without gender or ethnicity completed?
If not, why?
- No. The entire PIF should be completed. As of 2007, race and gender information is required.
- As a federal contractor, OSU is required to submit our Affirmative Action Plan/EEO-1 report in deference to regulations issued by the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP). More information is provided by theInterim Guidance on the use of Race and Ethnic Categories in Affirmative Action Programs document.
- OSU is required to provide a binary gender selection for all employees that matches the gender associated with that person’s Social Security record. Due to the IRS criteria, the State Treasury will not process payroll without a binary gender selection for each employee.
- Where should employees go to request Federal & State withholding if they don't want
a marital status of single with no allowances?
- Federal and State Tax Withholding instructions and forms are on the Payroll Services website under Payroll Tax Withholding Forms.
- Why do I have to term the job and employee if his/her last position is in my department?
- Terming the job and employee when the employee will no longer be employed by OSU is important because it ensures employment history is correct when the employee needs employment verifications completed. Doing so also ensures there are no “ghost” employees on payroll, which would infringe legislation.