Flexible Work Options for Staff - Spring 2023
Monday, December 5, 2022
Over the summer and fall of 2022, OSU enabled colleges and divisions to engage in flexible work options for staff. We would like to continue use of these flexible work options on a trial basis for the spring semester. This will enable administration to learn more about what works and what does not work in our large and diverse workforce in the context of the full academic year.
For some areas, this continued flexibility can begin as early as January 1, and should end no later than May 26, 2023. It is recommended all options be reviewed on a semester basis to ensure the arrangements are beneficial to the employee and to the unit. All options are at the discretion of the college or division and may be discontinued at any time based upon the needs of the employee and/or the needs of the department.
- Eligibility requirements: continuous, regular staff in good standing, and in positions that allow for no decrease in service level based upon location of work
- Consideration of what is in the best interest of the university’s strategic goals is management’s top priority. In making remote work decisions, managers are encouraged to find a balance between what is in the best interest of OSU and their employee
- For all hybrid and remote options, job expectations, customer service, and responsiveness shall be maintained. Remote work should consist of the same work as on-campus, performed from an alternate location
- The Alternate Work Agreement form is required with review and approval by the appropriate dean and/or vice president
- All out-of-state requests and those involving international employees must include University Human Resources in the review process
Please continue to encourage staff to use accrued annual leave and compensatory time as appropriate. Use of accrued leave provides rest for your team members and decreases the budgetary liability carried by your department.
Use of these programs will continue to be monitored, and input will be requested from you and your staff during the spring semester. This information will be used to determine what future modifications may be necessary to ensure the success of future flexibility options and additional workforce procedures. If you have any questions, please contact your HR Consultant.