Benefits Education - Student Health Insurance

Did you know OSU offers student health insurance to ungraduated/graduate, GTA/GRA’s, and international students? OSU’s student health insurance is administered by United Health Care.  Below you will find the requirements to determine if you qualify for student health insurance.
  • Undergraduate/Graduate Students- All Domestic undergraduate or graduate students taking 9 or more credit hours (3 hours in the summer) and Domestic graduate students enrolled in their last semester are eligible to enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan on a voluntary basis. 
  • GTA/GRA Students- Students employed by the University as a Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) or Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) are eligible for the OSU Health Insurance Plan, at no cost to the student, if the following requirements are met:
  1. GTA/GRA employed at .25FTE and
  2. taking 9 credit hours during the Fall/Spring (2 credit hours during the summer);


  1. GTA/GRA employed at .50FTE and
  2. taking 6 credit hours during the Fall/Spring  (2 credit hours during the summer)
  • International Students- All International students taking one (1) or more credit hours are required to have health insurance. All International students will be automatically enrolled in the OSU Student Health Insurance Plan and the plan costs will be billed to the student’s bursar account. 
Please refer to for additional information regarding OSU’s student health.  Still have questions, contact OSU Benefits at, (405) 744-5449 or 106J Whitehurst.