Retiring From OSU
Thinking About Retirement? If you are considering retiring from OSU we recommend calling OSU Benefits at (405) 744-5449 to set up a time to attend a How to Retire session. We also recommend reviewing the OSU Retirement Planning Guide.
If you meet OSU retirement criteria as of the last day of your continuous, regular employment with OSU, you will be considered an OSU retiree.
- If you are at least age 62 and have at least ten continuous regular years of service at OSU, or;
- You worked at OSU for at least 25 years in a continuous regular appointment, no matter what your age, or;
- You meet the OTRS guidelines for the “Rule of 80” or “Rule of 90” (age plus years of OTRS membership). “Rule of 80” applies to employees joining OTRS prior to July 1, 1992. For those joining OTRS after June 30, 1992, but prior to November 1, 2011, the “Rule of 90” applies. Members joining on or after November 1, 2011, the "Rule of 90 and minimum age of 60" applies.
Wonder what your retirement income might be? Check out the Social Security, TIAA and OTRS websites for estimates of retirement income.
You can access your personal account information on the OTRS Member Portal and estimate your monthly retirement benefit for selected datesr. For an actual calculation, you will need to complete a Pre-Retirement Information Verification (PIV) form and send it in to OTRS.
The Social Security Administration website offers information on planning your retirement and calculating benefits. Click on Estimate Your Retirement Benefits, ask how to plan your retirement, calculate benefits and apply for retirement benefits. Calculations are based on your actual Social Security earnings record.
OSU How to Retire Seminars are held on the Stillwater campus and offer important information regarding decisions you will have to make at retirement. Seminars are held each month in 106B Whitehurst from 3:00-4:00pm.
- How to Retire Seminars
- How to Retire (written narrative) (pdf)
- OSU Retirement Planning Guide (pdf)
- Oklahoma Teachers' Retirement System (website)
- Oklahoma Teachers’ Retirement System Client Handbook
- TIAA from OSU's Microsite
- TIAA Funds Upon Termination Of Employment (pdf)
Schedule An Appointment With A TIAA Representative (website)
Call 800 732-8353 Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (ET) to get started
OSU Retiree Life Insurance