Health Benefit Overview
If you are appointed to work at least a six month assignment and have an FTE greater than .75 in an eligible staff or faculty employee position, you may participate in the University's insurance plans.
All spouses recognized under applicable law are eligible for University benefits in accordance with the University's plan documents. For questions about eligibility, please contact OSU Benefits, email@example.com, (405) 744-5449.
Review the following for more information about eligibility for the University’s student insurance coverage.
For OSU medical insurance and dental and vision benefits, your eligible dependents are:
- Your spouse;
Your child under the age of 26;
- may be married or unmarried;
- does not need to be enrolled as a student; and/or
- may have a separate residence from you.
- may be employed, but the employer must not offer group medical coverage to your child.
- Your married or unmarried child of any age who is medically certified as disabled and dependent upon you for support and maintenance.
Employees should carefully review the dependents they are covering on medical, dental and/or vision insurance. During Annual Enrollment, employees should drop coverage for anyone who does not meet the criteria listed for an eligible dependent.
There are three opportunities when employees may make insurance selections.
You have 30 days from your first day of employment to make your insurance coverage selections. Your benefits are effective the first of the month following your hire date. Verify your enrollment in a Benefit Enrollment session by contacting OSU Benefits, (405) 744-5449.
You may also review New Employee Information and complete your enrollment online.
Change of Status Event
You cannot change your insurance coverage during the year except in the case of a qualified change of status. You have 30 days from the date of a qualifying change of status event to notify OSU Benefits and change your insurance selections. Changes are effective the first of the month following notification. If you do not make your changes during the 30-day status-change period, your changes cannot be made until the next Annual Enrollment period, and Evidence of Insurability may be required. Financial hardship and provider network changes are not considered qualifying events.
Here are some common examples of qualified change of status events:
- Marriage, divorce, legal separation or spouse’s death
- Birth, adoption, medical child support order or dependent’s death
- Change in residence if the change affects your or your dependents’ current plan eligibility
- Gain or loss of other group coverage, starting or returning from leave of absence, or change of job status (e.g., changing from part-time to full-time)
- Change in dependent’s eligibility (e.g., reaching age 26)
To make mid-year, qualifying event insurance changes, you will need to submit the following to OSU Benefits during your 30-day period:
- Insurance Enrollment/Change Form
- Life and LTD Enroll/Change Form, if you are making a change to your Life Insurance and/or LTD coverage
Your insurance changes must be consistent with your change of status event. Evidence of Insurability may be required for some changes.
Annual enrollment occurs in November. During this time, you may make changes to your insurance and add or remove dependents from coverage using the online enrollment system, Self-Service Banner. OSU Human Resources will send communications regarding Annual Enrollment to your OSU email. Changes you make during Annual Enrollment will start January 1 or later when your Evidence of Insurability is approved, if required.
Information about benefits program changes is provided each year on the Benefits web site.
Do you still have questions?
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or call OSU Benefits, (405) 744-5449.